WATCHDOGS . . .
By Maggie Howley, Nutra-Lix Industry Coordinator
Looks like Watchdogs aren’t just for farms anymore. Turns out some of the organizations marching across our nation and collecting money from honest citizens aren’t what they appear to be and we might have to bark a little bit to wake up the rancher and his wife.
Who is under suspicion? Right now it’s HSUS, the Humane Society of the United States. You’d think they were a dog’s best friend you know, support your local pet shelter- homeless and hurting dogs and cats. Turns out that:
· They take in $99 Million dollars each year and only ½ of 1% of it goes to dog and cat shelters.
· It is NOT affiliated with one local humane society in the U.S.
· It supports an agenda that looks IDENTICAL to PETA
· HSUS spends $20 Million dollars on lobbying
· HSUS spends $24 Million dollars on fundraising
· JP Goodwin of HSUS stated his goal is “ the abolition of ALL animal agriculture”, he also stated he wants to “create the NRA of the animal rights movement”
· Paul Shapiro of HSUS says that “eating meat causes animal cruelty”
· They have a staff of 30 lawyers and actively support and propose legislation for EQUAL RIGHTS for animals (the same as humans) including the right to not be eaten, and the right to sue their owners in court.
· They use their MILLIONS of dollars to lobby congress for anti-meat and anti-agriculture legislation.
Iowa Congressman, Steve King says “HSUS solicits money from well-intentioned uninformed animal lovers and uses these donations to lobby Congress for an Anti-meat Anti agriculture agenda. They’re a political machine masquerading as an umbrella organization for local humane societies”.
Dave Martosko, director of research at the Center for Consumer Freedom states “your money (taxpayers) is really at work in statehouses, courtrooms and ballot boxes. That’s where the organization pushes for animal rights. The group works overtime to drive a wedge between animals and people, to reduce everyone’s consumption of meat, eggs and dairy, for instance. It does this by filing lawsuits, lobbying for new laws and pushing for ever-tighter regulations-driving up the cost of being an egg producer or cattle rancher. If these farmers won’t give cows, pigs, and chickens their” rights”, the group will just drive them out of business.”